“Alta Marca Trevigiana” is the hill area of Treviso territory (50 Km. North of Venice), and it includes ASOLO and MONTELLO. MONTELLO is a hill elevation, of elliptical shape, 13 km long and 5 km wide, constituted by red earth which covers conglomerates of calcareous cobblestones, porphyry and granite kneaded with clay, which is rubble coming from Piave river and the Alps erosion. The highest point is situated 371 metres above sea level. The total extension of the Montello area is about 6000 hectares, divided in 5 different town districts: Crocetta del Montello, Giavera del Montello, Montebelluna, Nervesa della Battaglia and Volpago del Montello.
For several milleniums, Montello is a transit and hunting area, more than a place of lasting human settlements. Recently, in a district of Nervesa della Battaglia, an ancient human settlement was identified, established by the Neanderthal in the Middle Paleolithic Age. It is possible to attribute to the ending of the Mesolithic Age, with the growth of an oak tree forest in this area, several findings of settlements related to the Homo Sapiens, which acquired stability during the Neolithic Age. During the Paleovenetian age, when a very important centre was developed in the Montebelluna area, this land was characterized by migration movements.
In the Roman Age, the signs of the Northern centuriation of Treviso arrived on Montello slopes. During all this time, the wood remained intact, and maybe it was considered a holy place. Only since the Medieval Age we have the first significant settlements over the hill, all of religious character: among them, we find the Abbey of Saint Eustachio, which is situated in Nervesa della Battaglia.
In 1388 the Republic of San Marco bounded its own history to Montello, and in 1471 it declared its forest of oak trees an exclusive resource for dockyard and naval development. The villa at the foot of our Giavera Estate, constitutes the office of the “Provveditoria (Agency) of Montello’s wood”.
In 1797, with the falling of the Most Serene Republic of Venice, the wood began to suffer the first damages, with inappropriate deforestations and fires. In 1811, the Napoleonic government of the Italic Kingdom declared Montello as a State property, and the Habsburg Empire divided the area in 20 “Prese”.
With the instauration of the Kingdom of Italy, there was the promulgation of Bertolini’s Law, in 1892, that divided Montello in plots, trying to exploit the land for agriculture, but failing to achieve an actual development for the area due to the fact that its nature was lacking water and far from important markets.
Estate of Venegazzù
This is the place where the company was born. Surrounded by vineyards, the splendid palladian Villa Spineda rises with its beauty and majesty, a XVIII century work of the architect F.M. Preti. Beside this, we find the farmhouse with the winery: also this one is placed in an extraordinarily beautiful scenario. The 47 hectares which surround the buildings are mainly cultivated with red grapes, of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Malbec varietals.
Situated upon the hillslopes (between 150 and 200 metres a.s.l.) of Montello, which invite one, with their shapes, to contemplate the splendid panorama of the Estate which dominates the plain of Marca Trevigiana. At the foot of the Estate, there is the Villa that was office of the “Provveditoria of Montello wood”, during the times of the Most Serene Republic of Venice. The company works over 23 hectares, almost totally dedicated to Prosecco Superiore of the DOCG ASOLO.
The flagships of Loredan Gasparini are the two blends (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Malbec) which they have become true and distinctive symbols of the international oenology.
Just think, for example, that the famous Treccani Encyclopaedia, pillar of Italian knowledge, has purposefully identified under the subject “Venegazzù’ the name of “… a venerable red table wine produced in limited quantities in the area of Venegazzù…”. Hence, a real and true cru.
Moreover the company’s leading wine, the famous “Capo di Stato”, has been included in a French publication entitled “100 vins de légende” as one of the 100 wines in the world that, for its history and venerable quality, can be unanimously considered as legendary. The company’s whites are also glorious, worthly placed besides a Prosecco Superiore, coming directly from the vineyards of the ASOLO DOCG area, with its distinguished body and notorious quality..
“Capo di Stato” was born in the historical “100 plants” vineyard, from Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Malbec grapes, where Montello’s microclimate (North of Venice) gives it a strong personality.
It is a deep wine, hot in color, with intense and charming aroma, rich of wild berries and light spices. A wine with a strong body and stuff, sweet and important tannins, infinite and persuasive on the palate.
When Count Loredan, after several years of production of high quality wines, began to use a mature viticultural estate, in the ’60s he thought about the creation of a special reserve of Venegazzù Red Wine. Thus, the idea of a delicious wine, produced in limited quantities and vintages, was born, and it was soon desired for many special occasions, particularly appreciated in Venice, and then in the whole world. Among its first fans, we have many Heads of State, and in particular the French President Charles de Gaulle: in his honour, it permanently took the name of “Head of State”.
First vintage of Riserva “Capo di Stato” was the 1964.
In human history, Wine and Art surely have a sublime relation. In 1967 the famous Italian artist Tono Zancanaro (1906-1985) dedicated two sensual works to the elegant “Reserve” of Count Loredan, which express the double soul, male and female, of grapes becoming wine. A male element and a female element which are united in the same essence. From that time on, “Des Roses pour Madame” and “…pour Monsieur la Bombe” have become the label’s image. Then, over the years, the wine continued to be produced only with the “male” label, reserving the “female” one for very special occasions.
It is the historic wine of the Count Loredan and full expression of the Venegazzù appellation (North of Venice).
Born in the 50s as the result of a maximum selection of grapes, it represents with no doubts a state-of-the-art interpretation of the original blend made with Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Malbec grapes.
Aged 36 months in big oak barrel.
The journey for the research of the maximum quality under- taken by the Azienda Agricola Conte Loredan Gasparini finds its true expression in the Cabernet Sauvignon. The antique connection vine-territory is stirring; it expresses the entire typical character of the Montello (North of Venice), the confirmation of a territory which enjoys a perfect microclimate for the vine cultivation. 50% aged in big oak barrel and 50% aged in still vats.